Friday, May 30, 2008

Oxygen-Free!!!!

Good afternoon! It's 1:15 on Friday, May 30, 2008 (TGIF!!!), and I have been WITHOUT oxygen since I woke up at 7:00 this morning!!! Woohoo!!! What a relief to have the freedom, strength, and energy to breathe on my own!!! I have learned a few tricks to keep my oxygen level in the 90's (thanks to my great friend and personal ICU nurse, Andrea Fair), but sometimes it goes a little down. When it does, I have this contraption called an Incentive Spirometer (which I've nicknamed the ball toy) that helps me take deeper breaths. To give you an idea of how much healthier and stronger my lungs are now, I could barely get it to level 250 in ICU, and now I'm regularly getting it to 750. I still have a lot of work to do, as my goal is 1000. But, I'm getting there. I don't think (no, I know) I'll never take another breath for granted ever again!!! :)

Lunch was a little rough today. A few days ago, I had such a great appetite, but I had those ulcers in my mouth. Then I had a great appetite, but I had thrush in my mouth. Then I had a great appetite and couldn't eat very much. Today, sad to say, I had no appetite at all, and I had to force myself to eat. I really need to eat for nutrition purposes, so I hope that changes soon! (Can you imagine me, the girl who plans her days around her next meal, begging for an appetite?!?!? Ha!) I'm going to try a Boost because the Ensure have just about made me gag the last two times I choked them down. Now....I want everyone to remind me of this 6 months from now when I'm complaining about that "extra 10 lbs I can't seem to lose"! TeeHee! :)

I think it's appropriate to share this now that I'm for sure going to make it (might have been a bit much a week and a half ago), but it's always been one of my favorite poems, and now that it's been put to music and images, it's even better. Some of you may know it, it's called "The Dash", and this is the link: http://www.thedashmovie.com/
It gives us ALL something to think about for sure....make your dash count! :)

In closing, this scripture has rung very true the past few days, and it was sent to me by a life-long friend, so it made it even more special. Thank you, Mrs. Soo! :)
Isaiah 41:30
"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Have a wonderful Friday afternoon!
I wish I was in Rogers with my family and friends, but it's just not time yet. Soon, though, very soon! (I hope!!!)
Love you all~
Joey :)