Saturday, May 31, 2008

Diagnosis!

Dr. Manian, the Infectious Disease dr. that has been working my case in St. Louis came in Friday afternoon and gave a much-anticipated diagnosis: Coxackie B. It is a very serious virus associated with the flu that attacked my body full-force. (To say the least!) I aksed him about my immune system and if it was just worn down and that's why I got so sick. He assured me I had a wonderful immune system, and I wouldn't be here if I didn't, so that was nice to hear! He also mentoned that sometimes we can have what's known as an over-active immune system that kicks in to work double-time and never really lets you know your sick. He said he truly felt like that was the case with me. That was music to my ears because I have been trying to be healthy for so long, and it just seemed to backfire in my face. It's very difficult to lay in a hospital bed, practically breathing your last breath, and feel on trial for every natural herb, vitamin, food, or drink you've ever injested. I know the doctors and nurses were completely doing their jobs, but I do hope and pray that someday the medical world and natural world of care will work together as a collective group to make us a healthier people....not constantly pull against each other, leaving patients in the middle. This brings me to the Kombucha Tea (that "kooky" tea I drink) that everyone has been talking about. Originally, they thought it had something to do with my illness. I was surprised because I've been drinking it regularly for over a year now, and it actually made me have more energy, feel better, etc. I could see where making my own could have caused an issue, but I know several people who do that on a regular basis and are fine. I did have an excessive amount of yeast in my body which probably came from the tea, but I did want to squelch the rumor that the "kooky" tea is what caused all this illnes in my body. Okay, enough of my soapbox. :) My sissy-friend, Jill Forga, came up last night, and she's spending the weekend with me, so I'll post more later about some of our shenanigans last night.....never a dull moment in Room 454! :)

Before closing, here's a scripture sent to me by a great couple friend I've had for years. It's a promise from God. :)
Jeremiah 29:12
"Then you will call upon me and go and pray to me and I will listen to you."

Have a wonderful Saturday!!! I'm one day closer to being home.....woohoo!!! :)